Pages

Monday, December 17, 2012

A Town Without Christmas..


As many of you may know there was an extreme tragedy that occurred in our neighboring country the United States of America.

See Maclean's Magazine for all the media coverage regarding the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting.


I cannot begin to express my surprise, my devastation, and my dismay that this event occurred. President Barack Obama stated that there have been too many shootings during his time as president. When I think back over the last few months I am haunting by the Dark Knight Rises shooting in Aurora Colorado, and the shooting that took place at a mall in Portland; Oregon. Now this...

I can only imagine how daunting of a task this nation's leader is having to faced or has been facing since these tragic events occurred. Not to mention the outstanding fear he may carry for his own two daughters in a world such as the one we all currently reside. 

On Friday, December 14, 2012, my better half picked me up from work. When I hopped in the car, excited to start our weekend, I was met with his somber face. I had no idea that the Sandy Hook Elementary shooting had taken place earlier that morning. 
He explained all what had happened to me. Xavier had just finished watching President Obama statement on the shooting and noted how upsetting it was to see a man of his stature pause to gain his composure.


I was in shock to hear that this could happen to mere children!
While driving home Xavier said, "What do you do for people in situations like that? When you do not pray or believe in a one God, what can you possibly do for such people?"
"Keep them in your thoughts," I replied, "And send them all well wishes.  We are all harvesters of energy."

From time to time, I fail to remember that there a tragedies going on all over the world all the time.  It takes one drastic moment such as the one the town of Newton, Connecticut are facing now for the world to remember that.  
I know we can call it a great injustice to humanity but realistically what can we do?  
What can we really do?  We cannot physically stop the shooters from donning their combat gear and arming themselves.  We cannot physically shield every single victim from the gunshots fired. 
Again, what can we do?  

All we can do is be part of the bigger scheme of things.
There is quote that is apparently by Mahatma Ghandi: "Be the change you wish to see in the world."  
From my understanding the quotation actually went much more like this:

"If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.  As a man changes his nature, so does the attitude of the world change towards him... We need not wait to see what others do"

It is a sad but inevitable fact; sometime bad things do happen to good people.  I truly believe that Ghandi's words are mean to ignite change and not be translated literally.  His words do not mean that once you are good only good things will happen.  The meaning is that we, as citizens of this Earth and the Universe, should lead by example, only then will people aspire to work together.  

From what I have read today on the follow up articles for the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting, the funerals for the children have begun today and that the town has already started taking down their Christmas decorations.  Over this holiday season, my heart and my thoughts go out to all those who have lost their loved ones.

Peace & Love, my friends.

No comments:

Pin It button on image hover