Pages

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

See the Good in Yourself

I, like most people, want the world to be a better place. The world is a big place so how can I even begin to do this.

"We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves
- Dalai Lama XIV

The whole reason why I started this blog was help make sense of my mentally and possibly help others along the way.  I started on this path of "righting" my mind last January.  I want to be a happier person coexisting in a happier world.

I found this book at my local library call Just One Thing: Developing a Buddha Brain One Simple Practice at a Time by Rick Hanson,Ph.D.  Dr. Rick Hanson has other books but this was one that caught my attention for the simplicity around it.  The book doesn't direct you to sit and mediate everyday for 20 minutes, at least not yet up to the point I've read, but it gives 52 different practices to "re-train" your brain so that you may develop a buddha brain mentality [inner peace].  52 practices for the 52 weeks in the year.  This book may be one I never am finished reading.  
I believe by accepting an improved mentality I will be able to sit with a quiet mind and meditate.  However it is trying to quiet the mind I have difficulty with.  This is why I have started on my path for inner peace! 

Today I reflected on a chapter about seeing the good in myself.  As I go through the next few days I will reflect on my good qualities and let the feeling(s) surround me.  I will also step outside of myself and try to see what good qualities other people I care about perceive of me.  My hope is to grow a deeper love for myself and well being.  I want to enhance my feelings of confidence, worth, happiness, & peace.

The author of this book relates each person to a mosaic; we all have tiles that are beautiful and some parts that need some work.  It's by seeing the good in myself that I will achieve the feeling that my life is in fact a beautiful mosaic.  There cannot be good without the bad. 

Peace & Love, my Friends!


No comments:

Pin It button on image hover